Winter is coming. While cold weather season is already here, wintertime is undoubtedly the toughest time on your roof. Your roof is not structurally built to handle the kind of weight that comes with heavy snowfall. There’s no better time to get your roof and your home ready for winter than now with these tips:
- Roof inspection: Get an idea of how your roof is doing before the snowfall comes. Call KTM Exteriors & Recycling and we can make sure all the shingles are in order.
- Clear your roof: Leaves and branches are all too common during autumn, and they love to get stuck on your roof and in your gutters. Leaving this debris and then compounding it with snow will increase your risk of potential leaks and clogged gutters, which can lead to the formation of ice dams on your roof.
- Survey ventilation and insulation: This is something you should monitor all winter. Poor attic ventilation and insulation can make it difficult for your home to warm up, which can put a huge dent in your wallet. Not only that, but it can also encourage formation of ice dams on your roof.
- Tree trimming: As mentioned in #2, leaves and branches love to get stuck on your roof and in your gutters. Take this preventative measure (especially if you don’t have gutter guards) to keep your gutters clear during the winter. Gutter guards are also an excellent solution that KTM Exteriors & Recycling can easily install for you. Learn more about our Gutters services here.
- Flashing inspection: Your flashing is an extra-protective measure designed to direct water off of your roof. Be sure to inspect your flashing now to see if it is loose or torn. Making these repairs now is significantly cheaper than doing the repairs on a major roof leak! Give us a call and we can inspect your flashing for you.
Want to know how much snow your roof can handle? Give us a call and we can take a look!
Don’t forget–we offer snow removal services so you don’t have to climb up and shovel the snow. Learn more about our snow removal services here.